Hair is something that we spend a lot of time on, and it’s not just about the cut. There are many different types of highlights that can be done to the hair, from frosted to textured. When you know what kind of highlight you want, it can make things easier when going in for your next appointment with your hairstylist or trying out new products at home.
Did you know that there are several different types of hair highlights? All hair highlights add dimension and shine to your locks, but the kind of highlight you choose will depend on your natural color. For example, if you have a light brown base with platinum blonde highlights streaks in it, then honey blondes would be perfect for you as they blend well with both colors. On the other hand, if you have dark brown or black hair, then a bright red would look great on top! The key is finding the right match for your unique coloring. Read more about the options of blonde highlights.
Hair highlights are a great way to change up your look without doing the big chop. Whether you want subtle lowlights or bold ombre, there is a type of hair highlight for everyone. But what are they? We break down the different types of hair highlights and how best to use them:
- Balayage: A freehand painting technique allows for long-lasting dimensional color on lengths and face-framing pieces by strategically placing color in sections.
- Ombre: This gradual effect starts with dark at the roots fading into lighter hues near the ends, giving off an illusion of bright colors.
- Root Touch Up: When your natural root grows out enough to show through, it’s time for touch-ups.
- Frosted highlights look best if they’re blended into darker hair and applied sparingly. They’re softer than other types of highlights, making them great for someone who doesn’t like too.
Maintain your highlighted locks
Do you have highlights in your hair? If so, it is important to maintain them. There are a few things that will help you keep your highlighted locks looking good and not dry or dull.
- Use a shampoo for color-treated hair: You want to use this type of shampoo because the chemicals in it help neutralize the pH balance and restore shine to the hair.
- Use conditioner on your roots: This helps prevent any damage from occurring while also conditioning the scalp and stimulating new growth of healthy hairs.
- Avoid using too much heat on your hair: Try straightening with a flat iron instead of using hot tools like curling irons or blow dryers as they can burn off excess moisture from the strands.
Hair highlights can be a beautiful addition to your hair color, but they don’t work for everyone. Different types of highlighting techniques are used depending on the desired look and person’s natural hair color. The main types of highlights include balayage, foil, ombre, babylights, or lowlights.